CLEVELAND, Miss. – The Delta State University Statesmen turned up the tempo in the last two minutes of the contest to come away the 71-70 come-from-behind win over in-state rival Mississippi College on Thursday night at Walter Sillers Coliseum.
Inside the Matchup
- Score: Delta State 71 – Mississippi College 70 (Final)
- Records: Delta State (15-13, 12-10 GSC) | Mississippi College (11-13, 9-13 GSC);
- Series: This marked the 88th meeting between the Statesmen and Choctaws. Delta State holds the series advantage at 51-36-1.
- Location: Walter Sillers Coliseum | Cleveland, Miss.
- Short Story: The Delta State University Statesmen turned up the tempo in the last two minutes of the contest to come away the 71-70 come-from-behind win over in-state rival Mississippi College on Thursday night at Walter Sillers Coliseum.
How It Happened
- Three consecutive 3-pointers from Delta State opened the contest for the Statesmen.
- A Devin Schmidt 3-pointer gave the Green-and-White the 9-6 advantage at the 16:57 mark, and they never looked back.
- DSU’s play around the perimeter allowed the momentum to stay in Delta State’s possession.
- A pair of LaQuavius Cotton free throws gave the Statesmen their largest lead of the night at 14, 29-15, with 7:37 left in the first half.
- The Choctaws cut the lead from 13 to six to close out first half action. MC trailed Delta State 36-30 to head into the locker room.
- Mississippi College started the second half chipping away at the deficit, knotting the game at 43-43 at the 15:48 mark on a couple of Tristan Moore freebees.
- MC earned its first lead since the early minutes of the first half at the 11:37 mark, 52-50.
- The Choctaws came out to a four point lead several times before gaining their largest lead of the night at six, 70-64, with 2:48 to go.
- After only scoring three points in the first 38 minutes of play, Jack Madgen used two consecutive clutch 3-pointers for Delta State to regain the lead 71-70 with 31 seconds remaining in the contest.
- Timely defense sealed the deal for the Statesmen in their 71-70 rivalry victory over Mississippi College.
- As a team, Delta State shot 47.3 percent from the field (26-of-55), 38.5 percent from beyond the arc (10-of-26), and 56.3 percent from the charity stripe (9-of-16).
- Schmidt provided his second-straight 27-point performance against the Choctaws to lead all scorers. Cotton and Zelvin Smith Jr. joined Schmidt in double figures with Cotton adding 13 and Smith chipping in 11.
Beyond the Numbers
- Devin Schmidt has now scored 15-plus points in 24 out of the total 28 games this season. The Sevierville, Tenn. native has also dropped 20-plus points in six of the last seven games. The 6-foot-4 guard remains 13th on the all-time scoring list at DSU with 1,090 career points.
- Seniors LaQuavius Cotton and Alister Chisholm were honored for Senior Day, as they played in their last games at Walter Sillers Coliseum.
- Jack Madgen is now tied for fourth on the all-time made 3-pointers list. He is tied at 139 with Cedric Matthews (1995-96).
- Freshman PJ Davis recorded all five blocks on the night.